Thursday, October 6, 2011

Intrepid Explorer

The first time we all went to Madison, WI was in late June, 2011. We went to an interview for a job being offered my wife. We'd spent a lot of time investigating the area, mainly using Google Earth. Being that we may end up here I'd taken Freja exploring. It was a warm, sunny day, so a beach seemed like the best idea.



I knew from looking at satellite images about where to find a small park. It had a tiny, little, mostly wild beach. Freja immediately began to comb the waterline, looking for treasure. I love how she can immerse herself in the simple act of exploring everyday objects. A side effect from us always being alone, aside from becoming socially inexperienced, is how imaginative she's becoming. Things I think most adults take for granted are wondrous objects of expression.





I'd expected her to get soaked, so I'd packed her swimsuit. She played for over an hour by herself. We saw ducks, and chased butterflies. I watched her litteraly chase a yellow one for over ten minutes, eventually picking up with her fingers. She even found treasure in some loose change.

Eventually some small children did come, but they didn't know how to deal with this overly friendly, "play with me, kid." She didn't know how to play with them, though she kept trying in own unique way. With time, she'll sort it out though. She was only 3 years old...

No comments:

Post a Comment