Thursday, February 9, 2017

Stillness

Stillness

So after an evening of time spent in "stillness" I thought I'd do a little looking into the use of "stillness" as part of the meditative process. I wanted something to relate to the photo of ice I took this morning. I keyword searched, "stillness, Buddha," and quickly found a free book, "The Peaceful Stillness of the Silent Mind" I am very ignorant of Buddhism so decided to research the author before reading it.

Here is what I learned, "Lama Yeshe was born near the Tibetan town of Tolung Dechen, but was sent to Sera Monastery in Lhasa at the age of six. He received full ordination at the age of 28 from Kyabje Ling Rinpoche. Jeffrey Paine reports that Lama Yeshe deliberately refused the geshe degree, despite having studied for it:

Many years later, when pressed why he had shunned this prestigious degree, he would laugh: 'And be Geshe Yeshe?'

Sera Monastery did award him an honorary geshe degree in the early 80s. He also used to joke that he was a Tibetan hippie: 'I dropped out!' "

I will be reading it.

#stillness

No comments:

Post a Comment