Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Roadside Adventures

January 7, 2013

After dropping off Freja at school I went for a short drive to see what I could find. Aside from a lot of snow, farms, and stands of trees, I noticed a lot of turkeys out in the open. With all the snow on the ground flocks of them can seen in foraging in farm fields. I kept an eye out for any closer to the road, eventually spotting some.

Wild Turkey
Turkeys run for cover as I pull over to snap a shot.

I drove past them, eventually circling back. I'd rolled down the passenger window, and preset my camera to shoot. Pulling over to the berm quickly I began to shoot. In a manner of moments they were gone. Not so for me. You see, my passenger side tires began to slide DOWN a steep embankment that had been hidden by the snow! I jumped out, got out my entrenching tool and began to dig a set of tracks leading to the road. Just as I finished a really cool farmer pulled up in a big truck. He hitched a towing strap to me, and in seconds I was free! WEW!

On my way back home I stopped twice more, both to shoot things I'd noticed before. One was a landscape of a stream that I'd noticed earlier. The lighting was just not right earlier, but it seemed to look good the second time.

Gordon Creek
Gordon Creek just outside Blanchardville.

The last stop was to shoot a buck I'd spotted earlier, when he was too far back in the brush to photograph. Anticipating on where he may be foraging I was able to get a good angle on him. Thankfully, this time I didn't get stuck!

White-tailed Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment