Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Catching Up

Over TWO months have gone by since my last post. I've written so many times in my head, just not online. I'm going to try to do some catching up. In a nutshell, most of November was spent just working on the old house. I didn't do a whole lot other than try to complete the renovations. By the beginning of December I was in Mount Horeb with my family. Most of that month was spent simply adjusting to the new surroundings.

Right away one of the first things I fell in love with is the shear abundance of "natural" areas! There are conservancies, parks and reserves literally EVERYWHERE around us! We can be in a quiet setting in a matter of minutes! I've even found time to actually go and just walk around by myself with my camera.

White-breasted Nuthatch

Another amazing realization, of which I've not photographed yet, is the access to a variety of quality foods. As the cook in the family I spent almost all of December just driving around to shops, sampling the wares. I've gained some weight! It's a combo of the cheeses, meats and beer! I have to admit that the quality of the foods I am finding here far surpass what was available in Greensburg. The only area I've found somewhat lacking is (naturally) seafood. While the local seafood suppliers are great they just aren't Wholey's. I've even found wild game here! I cannot WAIT to get into my new kitchen! Spring cannot get here soon enough. (For those who don't know, we're renting until April when we move into our new house.)

And then there's the beer! Amazing variety and flavor!

Mainly though, it's just being back with my family that feels the best. Cooking for them, spending time with them are things I truly missed. At first it took some time for Freja to adjust after my long absence but things are returning to our version of "normal." She also loves school, which I am now trying to figure out how to interact with.

Lemon Ricotta Cookies with Lemon Glaze

I'll try to post more often and will catch up on some of the back story soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment